Re: Fort De Sotho

To: "Ian MacPhail" <idmacphail@xxxxxxxxx>,"'Roger Wright'" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,"'Michael Jocelyn'" <mikejocelyn@xxxxxxx>,"'Dave Lindsey'" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fort De Sotho
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:35:15 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Ian,
Certainly we are all aware that some of us stand to actually loose pay during holidays and time off. I certainly am sensitive to that and appreciate all the more the great effort that people take to make it to the regattas and to make them a sucess. We had a great bunch of people come down last year, many from far away. Plenty of people came without boats too. They helped hugely in the regatta and the classes and were rewarded with a few rides and a practical demo of the boat to ease their own learning curve. Thats a tradition we would like to keep up in the class and extend the welcome to friends of the class, families and new builders who have not quite finished the construction of their swifts.

The class executive would like to make every effort to keep the cost of moving boats from far places as low cost as possible. Toward that end we are already looking into sourcing an appropriate sized shipping container or some communal transport leaving from the upper west coast, posibly Seattle or Vancouver and having someone meet it and look after it right at the event site. Other Class members might ferry people from the airport when they come to join their boats. This would aleviate the transport problem for some.

In terms of timing we have proposed to have the regatta over the 2006 easter long weekend, over which most businesses (except retail) are closed and which is the secondary school spring break for most of NA (but after the majority of the college breaks). We think that this will save most people some scheduling problems with their families and ease the decision to come together. For those on the east coast we have scheduled (weather permitting) the final prize ceremony (D4) so that the weeknd can be used for travel back before the next work week. Possibly after a long cold winter in the northern parts class members and their families will be itching to get away to the warmth and get a start on the season by attending the clinics where you can get up to speed before the regatta and/or before you go home to your own sailing clubs.

Finally, if you already have a strong preference to have your boat and gear transported down to the regatta site from the NW coast please contact Bram Dally and let him know this. The costs and feasability will most likely depend on having a full container. Bram has quite a lot of experience with this but will require some assistance from you to pack and unpack the container shortly before shipping in either direction. Overall we hope the costs will be much less than individuals towing their own boats and much more convenient.
Greg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian MacPhail" <idmacphail@xxxxxxxxx>