Re: letter number placement on mainsail?

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: letter number placement on mainsail?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:20:19 -0400
That picture Ken sent is of Bram's boat named "A Series of Unfortunate Events"
Just as an aside, he resisted my suggestions of calling the boat "A Swift
Series of Highly Organized Laughter Events", though I cant think why, perhaps
he thought it was just a Joke,  having such a long name for a boat, I mean lets
see him paint that on the transom so we can reade it. Anyway... I had to squint
at the photo which was probably taken at 50-60 feet from the boat and I
couldn't quite make out the sail number.  Could any of you? Those numbers will
disappear at greater distances even if they are black. In any case from a
distance all the swifts look the same. From the beach where our SO's are
watching its imposible to make out who is who and the spins having so little
variation doesnt help either.   (but good for getting away with infractions on
the water I guess).

IN any case what I forgot to mention.... Here is an excerpt from our own class
rules.
4.7.2 The Ensign
To allow for accurate identification of Swift Solos while racing, each Swift
Solo must have a distinguishing number and colored design attached to each
mainsail it uses. No two Swift Solos shall have the same design. Such a name or
ensign design shall measure at least 600mm () in length in any direction.
traditionally the ensign or mainsail logo design has been simple. (Square of
color or shape) lately with the advent of grand prix skiff racing and bigtime
sponsors of individual boats the logo designs have become ever more
sophisticated.

Since we are probably the only  real single handed 3 sail skiff we should dress
the part too.

The ensign doesn't have to be expensive.
Hey Canadians, which of you will be the first to put the red fig leaf on your
sail Eh?

Search for pictures of 18teens and 16ft skiffs and have a look at the simple
designs which are fairly effective. The bigger the better in my book.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of it, but on my old 49er I painted the
statue of liberty 15 feet high and from the luff to the leech. I did it by
making a huge stencil from letter size pages printed as parts of a poster. I .
printed the big poster reduced to 2 colors (black and white), stuck it all
together page by page, and cut out all the black parts with a razor blade to
make the stencil. With the stencil covering the sail I painted the picture on
with a spray can or 2. It was stunning so I'll probably do it again.

Here are some pictures of other skiffs with really simple designs.  Use your
imagination over the winter and surprise us in Florida. There will be a prize
for the best and the lamest :-)
11ft skiff
16ft skiff
I14 skiff
another I14well what's that spinn for anyway, they don't need it or the CB
either. !!!!

18 footers
49er skiff

Regards Greg

PS
Christian, here is your ensign for "Sweet Caroline". :-)

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image