Re: Bulkhead 8 and CB Trunk alignment

To: "Rob DesMarais, D.C." <drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bulkhead 8 and CB Trunk alignment
From: ROWR@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:34:38 -0800
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Rob and others at this stage, I may have posted this before, if so, I
apologise, but it saved me a lot of time.
I found a simple way of lining everything up, maybe others (Bram and anyone
past this stage can comment)

Before I installed my bulkheads and CB trunk, I cut the CB hole in the hull.
Laterally, you can see where this hole should lie, i.e. you should be able to
see the centre line of the hull, and then use a combination of the class rules
and station 6, 8 and the CB trunk, to see where the longitudinal position of
the hole should be. Once I cut the hole, I had a clear position for the bottom
of the trunk. I then cut a 2" high block which fitted perfectly into the CB
trunk and another one that fitted perfectly into the hole in the hull. By
gluing these together, you get a top hat section. You can then place this
assembly into the hole in the CB trunk and the other side into the hole in the
hull. Voila! Your CB trunk is perfectly aligned on the bottom, now all you
need to do is get the vertical right, and station 8 and 6 pretty well take
care of that.

Another thing..... get the CB trunk perfectly square before you install, DONT
install it if it has any bow to it or the sides cannot create a PERFECT
rectanglur hole where the CB blocks are going to fit. If these holes are not
perfect, or the sides are bowed, you are in for a nightmare every time you try
to fit the blocks and CB. If it is out, take your time and make another
one!!!!!! It will be worth the effort in the long run.
Also, make sure that your measurements on the trunk are correct before you
install this sucker. If the CB trunk hole is too small, there is NOTHING you
can do to repair it once the deck is on. PRO-SET is for good!

Of all the methods that I tried for getting the fit of the hull to deck, the
best was the playdough. Easy and cheap to make by the bucketload. Once made,
you make little "mountains" of the stuff on as many points as you have time
for on the bulkheads, then lower your deck. Remove the deck and see where the
mountains have been compressed and remove some bulkhead, then repeat, and
repeat and repeat. The more time you take here, the better your boat is going
to perform and last.

One other thing. It may be usefull to come up with a way of locating the
centre bolt of the chainplate before you start, because every time you lift
the deck up, you are not sure if you replace it in exactly the same place
again when you lower it.

Hope that helps.
Roger