Re: AW: Aussie Swift taking shape

To: <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AW: Aussie Swift taking shape
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:25:06 -0500
Roger, I think it could be very dependent on the kind of wood. Hard woods like walnut and oak for example polish up quite shiny and nicely, with no covering over them at all, with a very fine grit treatment. Perhaps that shiny surface would affect epoxy bond (some hard woods are oily and that does affect the bond) but in my experience the softer pines and cedars soak up a lot of epoxy into the pores of the wood and get a good bond no matter how smooth they are sanded. Does this gel with others experience? I kept and weighed the sander dust from my deck --- its a lot more than I thought.
Thanks for the good discussion on this guys. These kinds of "how to tips" and discussions are really valuable to builders getting started.

Perfection comes also in a well wielded random orbital sander.
Greg

----- Original Message ----- From: <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>