Re: Ordering fibreglass and resins

To: Jordan Spencer <jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ordering fibreglass and resins
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:24:47 +1000 (EST)
Hi Jordan - Its fun hey!

  You need to get onto Michelle Crouch at ATL Composites. They actually
manufacture West System Products over here under licence. They are a wholesale
outfit but will sell direct to people that are doing a complete boat. Their
prices are way cheaper than anything else that I found.
  web http://www.atlcomposites.com/
  telephone   07 5563 1222

  They are based at Southport on the Gold Coast and they have a big operation.
If you mention my name to Michelle they will be able to look up the order I did
with them. Michelle has been following the progress of my project. I used them
for everything that I could due to their prices. They can supply carbon,
e-glass tape, e-glass, all the consumables (gloves, stirring stick, cups etc)
They didn't have the same filler or adhesive additives that are used in the US
either. I ran with their recommendations - they seem to have some expertise. To
match wood colour I use some filler and some saved wood dust. Just fiddle with
the amounts to get the best match that you can.
  They could help with most things except the hybrid cloth and the S-glass.
After a huge amount of searching I found the hybrid at an obscure supplier. I
have forgotten their name but let me know if you need to find out and I will go
through my invoices. It was bloody expensive.
  To the best of my knowledge S-glass is not obtainable in Australia. I ended
up phoning John Sweet in the US. He is pretty helpful. The amount for one boat
is able to be posted and it just arrives at your door. I paid no duty or GST as
it was posted.
  If you speak to Al at Seaway Marine he will be able to get the T-nuts for
you.
  Telephone 07 3893 0955

  I hope that is a help. Give me a call if you need to get any other info.

  Cheers,

  Steve

Jordan Spencer <jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Well I am discovering
the joy?s of getting stuff here in Oz.

  It is almost impossible to get carbon fibre or the twill here in Oz. I am
pretty good friends with the guys at SP systems here otherwise I wouldn?t be
able to get anything. Even so, the twill will still cost $55sq/m at wholesale
rates. I am struggling to find S glass anywhere and I haven?t found E glass
tape anywhere. Plus the distributor for West systems don?t stock the coloidial
silica 406 at all, nor 407 filler ? instead you use 411 if you need a filler or
410 if you need to do fairing. Are you guys using the 407 for fairing or for
filling??

  Apart from that everything is going smoothly, my wood hasn?t turned up, can?t
find #5 ¾? screws anywhere and ss T-nuts so far are in 1,000 lot quantities.

  The good news is the 14? guys have molds for foils here, I will send photo?s
when I see them.

  Cheers

  Jordan
  ?Woodie?