Re: Rigging Questions

To: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Rigging Questions
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:22:15 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 6/10/2007 8:08:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, WFS03
writes:

Bram,
USA020  spinnaker was dry hoisted to day for the first time and I am having
trouble  with the douse.  The retrieval patches seem to bunch up and catch on
the  corner of the launcher throat, so I am not sure that I have the figure 8
knots  in the right places.  Per the list server Spinnaker Halyard email reply
from Robert Harper to Steve Nichols on 03/02/2006, with the spinnaker on the
port side, I passed the retrieval line under the spin sheet and under the
bottom of the kite and thru the bottom retrieval patch, up thru the middle
patch and tied off thru the top patch with a figure 8 knot.  I placed one
additional figure 8 knot about 1 foot down from the top patch.  What is  the
best
configuration for the retrieval line to avoid the bunching of the  patches and
problems during the douse?
Bill,
dry dousing is always harder than on the water.  Your retrieval  patches on
the kite are brand new and stiff as hell.  Leave the kite in the  sock (rigged)
for a couple of days and the patches will become funnel shaped and  will work
much better.  You can also just work them soft with your  hands.  Don't worry
about this problem.

The vang lever  arm wants to twist off when I pull it on much more than where
it is in the  picture below.  What suggestions do you have regarding the
mechanics of  the lever and the position of the vang sleeve on the mast so that
the vang is  configured properly?
Bill, this is likely either because you need to pull on more cunningham of
because the sleeve is too low on the mast by about 3/4"