Re: swift noob here

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: swift noob here
From: "Matt Broughton" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:03:35 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=0X56OlCEJA4Ov+KmDZeghqNW2uV8csJxPfq2xhfz17A=; b=M8B0WsMPj8tl4G4vthzD9IxK1Vw06KKu0RLcNu2SqLycqyk7y4G9Q0slsUY6UWXg9FMVrFsWs5/eJfXKS6paso4v+OjDTG5Q2DgdZORDklZcsakmGq9FHVoTmF5IMjQAuUcW8v98nwsp+wLXuQ+1A3jAu54E6LLi8Jhz31xJa5s=
Sender: fireballmatt@xxxxxxxxx
My sailing and racing experience is limited to keelboats ranging from 33
feet to 21 feet.  I skippered a San Juan 21, and crewed on a Soverel 33 and
several sport boats.  I have sailed on several beach cats at various
vacations but they were not 'performance' boats by any means.

I'm looking at the boat from the perspective that I need something that is
manageable for one person, the learning curve I can handle, and I fully
expect to get dumped many times learning how to handle the thing.

Since I'm the only person in my group of friends that sails, I feel that if
I build something that requires at least two people I'm setting myself up
for failure simply because I will have a hard time getting people out in it
enough to be comfortable with the boat during racing or heavy air.  I've got
the plans for an i550 sport boat, and it seems like a wonderful and quick
little 18 foot boat, but it does me no good if I don't have dedicated crew.
The swift eliminates that worry.

What month are the nationals this year?  A trip down to Florida is an easy
thing for me as I'm right up I-95.  I've read about past regattas and the
clinics preceding the racing.  I love the idea of the clinics and something
like that is right up my alley.

-Matt