RE: swift noob here

To: "'Matt Broughton'" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: swift noob here
From: "Karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:22:53 -0800
Matt

The closest to driving a skiff will be any experience you have had in sport
boats.  SJ 21s and Soverel 33s are “lead mines”.  In some ways it will
handle a bit like a beach cat – assuming you were flying a hull.  The
biggest difference between even a sport-boat and the Swift is that sailing
the Swift (or any skiff for that matter) is that you can sail keel boats
“reactively” and to race them at the top level you have to be anticipating
what the boat will do about 25% of the time – whereas a skiff is between
50%-70% anticipation.  What this means is that at first, until you “get a
feel for the boat”  as trim changes, and you “react” to the changes, your
reactions will be “late” and you will swim or spin out.  But as you start to
get a feel for the boat, you will start to be able to anticipate what the
boat is about to do based on incoming waves and puffs, and you will start to
alter trim and weight before the boat begins to telegraph the changes.  And
ten the Swift will start to feel like a rocketship on rails.

I strongly agree that if you don’t have a crew to sail with,  a singlehanded
boat is the way to go.  And I suggest that a trapeze skiff is much more
comfortable (once you get past the initial learning curve) than any hiking
dinghy.

The single biggest mistake that newbie skiff sailors make, is to go out in
too little breeze.  Skiffs only gain stability when they are powered up, and
only become comfortable when you can trapeze somewhat.

The second biggest mistake newbie skiff sailors make is to sit down.  Until
you are very comfortable with the boat, either stand, or kneel on one knee,
but nothing lower

The third biggest mistake is to go out in too much wind.

So the ideal wind range for a new skipper would be in the 8-10knot range.
Enough power to trapeze, but not enough that you cannot recover from
mistakes.

Having a “crash boat” and a coach is a very good thing, so going down to the
NorthAms would be ideal.

I wish I could attend – I’d love to coach and video the clinics again, but
unfortunately I don’t think my wrist will be recovered from surgery by then.
So I’m going to have to sit out these next 8 months or so (doctor says 6-8
mo recovery and surgery is in Feb).

Karl

   _____