Re: Fort Desoto informal discussion on class growth--please respond

To: "swiftsolo.catzooks.com" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fort Desoto informal discussion on class growth--please respond
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:44:48 -0600
OK I think every one by now should know how I feel and it is my own opinion. Whatever happens, whe should protect the ability of a home builder to be able to produce a boat that will be able to be very competative. That off my chest, I know Bram has strong feelings for keeping the wood deck but I'd say if you are molding boats, mold the whole thing because if I guy can't strip a hull, he can't strip the deck either. Actually the deck is more complex than the hull.

Beleive it or not, I'm OK on molded boats. Allow the builder(s) to offer completed and kit boats. Let the buyer decide at what level they want to step in at and go from there. Whoever builds them must be reputable for quality and craft. The layup schedule should produce a boat that can hold up for a minimum of around 10 years without having serious issues. I don't know if that is Nomex, Divinicell, epoxy, some form of poly, or what but the boat should not pull apart in the first season and you shouldn't have to get a new hull ever season either.

My $0.02.

Fugu is loaded on the rack inside the trailer. It worked better than I thought my hairbrained scheme would. Now to toss in the camping gear and load Davids boat. I'll be leaving SLC probably the 6th.
--
Live large, love lots, and sail fast!
The mark of who you are is determined by what you do when you don't have to do it.