Re: chain plate

To: patrick.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: chain plate
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:56:29 EDT
Patrick,

We were getting it from APS.  Stopped using it because it does indeed break
down fast (the fibers on the outside become brittle and break after two months
in the sun).

Been using Yale's Ultrex 5/32 instead.  It has a 3150 lb. break strength but
it does creep a bit initially.  The reason we don't use Vectrus instead (same
break strength) is that Yale's  5/32 Vectrus is about twice the diameter of
5/32 Ultrex (they hire a drunk to visually size these lines after dark).  The
Ultrex is highly coated with maxi sheild and should last for years for standing
rigging.  I would not use it for running rigging because the coating feels
like recently chewed bubble gum.

We'll stick with 1/8 lightning rope for our uppers but use the 5/32 Ultrex
for lowers, primaries, and forestays.

Regards,