Re: Centerboard trunk building primer?

To: warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Centerboard trunk building primer?
From: Christian Rasmussen <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:52:50 -0400
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Warren,

See inline for some comments.

Warren Stevens wrote:

Has anyone written (or would like to write) a centerboard trunk
building primer?  Here are my questions:

1) Can you assemble the pieces and then drop it into the hull? Or is
it better to assemble it in place?

you should build the entire thing (Mast step/centerboard trunk) in one peice and then put it in. A critical
part is to put it in straight. There is only so much correction you can do later with the blocks, so dont
rely on this. Also Gregs centerboard is as wide as it can be, leaving even less for correction. Also Bram made
a new template for the trunk, so get that if your dont already have it.

2) I assume everything is bonded together with 405 fillets. Should I
use 1" tape on the insides and/or outsides?

Where ever you use fillets you should use tape/cloth, otherwise it doesn't add much strenght. I did not use fillets
on the inside, but if you do, make sure the radius is small. (1/8 or so) On the outside you can use as much
as you want and should make it fairly strong. Also up the side of the bulkheads. (full and half bulkheads)

3) The two 3/4" pieces the inserts screw into are bonded in with 4200,
correct? (i.e. they need to be removable later)

Correct. try only and use the 4200 on the outside edge. (not on the insert side of the block) That way you can
use a razor blade and cut them out.

4) Should the forward end be bonded to station 6? (I have to assume
so...)

Yes. and fillets also.

5) Any hints on cutting the hole in hull for the insert (getting it
positioned correctly and perfectly straight)?

This is what I did. (There might be better ways) I position a long cedar strip running all the way down
the hull in the middle as my guide to get it in the middle. (Similar to they way you placed the soldiers)
Do a lot of checking. When you think its lined up use a glue gun and some cedar strips to keep it in place. Then fillet the bottom in as well as up the each side of the fullsize bulkhead. One more check you can do before doing that, is to drill holes with a long bit through the hull, inside the centerboard trunk. Then make sure that it lines up on the outside. E.g. you dont want your centerboard to sticking out an inch on the port side of the hull. (Even if it looks even from the inside of the hull)

Any other hints and tips?

Thanks for all your help.

Warren