Re: Centerboard trunk building primer?

To: "rowr" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>,<warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Centerboard trunk building primer?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:18:53 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
I recommend Rogers method for making these blocks. Getting them computer cut
from Roger will save a lot of hassles and make your boards last longer. They
are a reasonable cost in time and effort to make but you need to be treating
any cored board with respect, else you should just go with a metal foil.

For the top "Block" I think Bram would want me to remind builders that you
should have a slight lip to keep the sand out of the CB case. Wrapping the
board and inserting it into Rogers shaped but slightly large top block would
give you some material to form such a lip. You could use a fillet of epoxy
on the outside to keep the lip from chipping.

 The foil blanks are turning into CB and rudders better than anyone
expected. Bram has used these rather than his own on the Boat of the year
test boat and we will have some pictures as soon as Bram gets back.  These
foils turned out so nice I really wanted to keep the VMG foils for myself,
they were that perfect.

PLEASE NOTE Foil blanks are made in batches that match the foam stock
quantity  I have to order. If you are going to want Centerboards or Rudders
or other foam parts for the rails throats or tapered tiller cores before the
March Regatta then please let me know by email so that there are no delays
or you miss out completely. Its not cost effective at these prices to make a
one off set. Moreover,  if you have a special request for a particular
experimental CB profile or sectionshape it would have to be made at the same
time as a batch or Swift Foils else it would be expensive.

Ill be in Australia from mid december to the end of January. Nothing will be
made then and after that my boat will take priority so there may be no NYC
skiff parts made untill after March either.
The quick or the dead......

Greg
PS if you want something brought back from Oz give me a hoy. (We are having
a Feb special on beautiful bronzed beach girls).