Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo

To: lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx, Andy.Howlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:56:00 EST
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
David,

The most difficult part of sailing the Swift is putting it away for  the
winter (at least I'll have 013 to rig and dream of sailing in the warm  waters
of
Florida in March).  Let's get some skiing done this winter.   We can drown my
sorrow in the bar afterward.

This reply is actually for everyone who worries about the Swift being a bit
"aggressive".  As you should know by now, I'll seize any  opportunity to
shamelessly plug The Swift.

The Contender video is a great promotional item for their class and for
single handed sailing in general.  Some things for everyone to  remember as you
complete your boats:
First, all the pumping, ooching, and rocking you see in the video does not
work in a Swift Solo.  You're always going faster than the waves so  instead of
trying to stay on the downwind side like the Contender  sailors, you'll be
passing right through.
Second, a modern formula one is much faster than a Stutz  Bearcat but also
lot easier to drive.  Once you get the hang of  sailing the Swift, you'll find
that the faster you go, the easier it gets.   For experienced Swift Solo
sailors, the most tiring condition is 5 to 7  knots.  It's at that wind speed
that
you are most likely to see the  kind of body movement that Contender sailors
use in 15 knots of wind (most  of the video).  Above 10 knots of breeze--you
simply meter out the  throttle relative to the traction.  The real trick in the
Swift is in  the fact that the flexy rig, mainsail design, and "auto sheeting"
of  the jib combine to lower drag significantly when you do have to back  off.
 The lower combined center of effort also helps (having a  jib).

Also remember, If an overweight 60 year old like me can sail this boat in  20
knots of breeze, any twelve year old girl should be able to do the same
(those swims you've seen me take were only to cool off).

Florida, late March, be there and I promise you'll learn a lot  about sailing
the Swift in a short time.  This regatta is 95% about  having fun, meeting
the other guys, and learning to sail the boat  (the  other 5% is 100% about me
getting an opportunity to kick some ass  on the racecourse before you all learn
to sail the boat).

Look to see the exact dates and location of the Florida regatta  soon.

Keep the sawdust flying.  March will come faster than you  think.