Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo

To: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>,Andy Howlett <Andy.Howlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo
From: Dave Lindsey <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:02:26 -0800
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 11/2/04 10:01 AM, "BDally6107@xxxxxxx" <BDally6107@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Thanks for doing such a good job with your answer.
>
> One of the things that needs to be pointed out is that these Contender guys
> are the pioneers of fast Single handed sailing.  It was they who showed the
> world how to do it and they deserve a whole lot of respect.
>
> Because a Swift has more power and more righting moment, a Contender will not
> keep up with us (especially downwind).  Do remember, however, that it will
> take a couple of years before we'll optimize the speed of a Swift to the
> degree that the top Contender sailors have optimized their boats.  I expect to
> see spectacular speed taking and Jibeing from you guys as competition comes
> into play.  Charlie McKee can jibe a Swift with the kite up (wire to wire) so
> fast that it'll blow your mind.  I think we'll all be tacking wire to wire in
> about half the time it takes on a 49er within a year of our first regatta.
> Remember, this is a stand-up and run through skiff with nobody else to impede
> your speed on the way to the other side.  That makes it fast and easy.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bram

Gentlemen

    Thank you for your reply re: the Contender vs. the Swift-Solo.

    The sub text to my question is; ³what the hell have I got myself into².
For a low time sailor like myself the Contender video is a little
intimidating.  Too think the Swift provides MORE performance is
overwhelming. Yet exciting.

    I plan to wear a helmet.

    David Lindsey
    New Westminster, B.C.