Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo

To: Andy.Howlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Contender vs. Swift-Solo
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:01:51 EST
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy,

Thanks for doing such a good job with your answer.

One of the things that needs to be pointed out is that these Contender guys
are the pioneers of fast Single handed sailing.  It was they who showed the
world how to do it and they deserve a whole lot of respect.

Because a Swift has more power and more righting moment, a Contender  will
not keep up with us (especially downwind).  Do remember, however,  that it will
take a couple of years before we'll optimize the  speed of a Swift to the
degree that the top Contender sailors have optimized  their boats.  I expect to
see spectacular speed taking and Jibeing  from you guys as competition comes
into play.  Charlie McKee can jibe a  Swift with the kite up (wire to wire) so
fast that it'll blow your  mind.  I think we'll all be tacking wire to wire in
about half the  time it takes on a 49er within a year of our first regatta.
Remember,  this is a stand-up and run through skiff with nobody else to impede
your speed  on the way to the other side.  That makes it fast and easy.