Ooopsy Daisy.

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Ooopsy Daisy.
From: "Felix Schliebitz" <f.schliebitz@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:56:06 +0200
Sorry.

Maybe I should have done better research before suggestion to cut someones
blades.

So let me try to rephrase a few things I said earlier, that might have been
offending anyone, not just to Mr. Harper. Again sorry about that.

Should anyone with a shorter blade and superior boat handling continue to
lose races, because of it, he or she should try to switch the blade with the
winner (Don't you all have the same box now?) and prove it. It might also
help determine what the best shape for the blade is ... just a thought.

And since I'm not owning a swift yet, I won't be able to discuss what the
maximum length of the blade should be. I was just trying to make an argument
for limiting the overall length for regattas. I'm not sure surface area will
help that matter. I used to sail 505 and if I remember correctly a crew from
Denmark started winning world championships in high winds with (almost)
enveloped sized, skinny rudders and long, skinny dagger boards. The size of
the dagger board was only limited by the fixed size of the slot. So people
ended up putting the bolt off centre to increase the length of the dagger
board when it's fully submerged.
I'm afraid, I'm not completely up to date on this matter, but I could check
with a guy that keeps winning 505 championships and started building dagger
boards for the elite sailors in that class ... Holger Jess is the guy I'm
talking about and a few 505 sailors might be familiar with that name.

Again good night and so long.

Best regards,

Felix :o)