Some questions and some tips

To: Swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Some questions and some tips
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:44:36 +1000 (EST)
Hi Guys,

  A few things:

  1) What is everyone using to make holes in the carbon for t-ball fittings,
blocks etc? I was thinking a drill and file? I know it sounds obvious but just
hoping to avoid mistakes.
  2) When attaching the plywood to the forms for the launcher throat with the
inch overhang as per instructions ATTACH IT WELL WITH GLUE AND NAILS. I was a
little lazy and just used staples. It looked ok until I started clamping the
wrapped launcher onto the ply. The pressure of the clamping caused the whole
assembly to fall to pieces! A lot of swearing occured at this time and my wife
came down to the garage and helped me quickly reassemble the the ply to the
forms - with nails this time. I assembled the ply flush with the forms this
time. I managed to get the wrap back on and reclamped across the whole width
this time rather than from ply to ply. This stopped the ply pulling out a
second time.
  I was worried about the quality of the launcher throat after this "incident"
but I had a look this morning and it is fine. (More by good luck than good
judgement) I thought I should share this unfortunate experience so others do
not repeat.
  3) Bill - The quality of your work looks absolutely awesome. On the 59er the
spreader collar is attached by a bolt that can be used as a tang for the
trapeze lines.

  Cheers,

  Steve

Check out my Swift Solo build progress on
www.aussieswift.livesaildie.com