Re: A status update

To: bdally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A status update
From: Bill Strosberg <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:18:56 -0400
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
bdally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:
This downtime has given me some time to work on health issues and to figure out where my future is with sailing and our class. Heart problems are an ongoing issue so Iâve been working hard to get in good physical condition. =2 0That has worked pretty well but has not solved the more debilitating issue with arthritis in my hands. The high sheet loads associated with skiff sailing take a toll on arthritic hands and age makes it progressively worse.
It has not been easy to come to grips with reality and where I go from here. Every other element of my life is going far better than I or anyone has the right to expect. I never dreamed that Iâd be sailing high performance boats well into my 60âs when I was young. Still, my passion for skiff sailing has outlived my joints. Short of a major turnaround, today will be my last day.
The good news is that Iâve come to realize that I can now focus on the two elements of our class that are very important to me. The first is helping the class clean up a lot of loose ends that relate to sustainability. I will be looking for input from all of you in this regard. The second element is to coach sailor / athletes to take the Swift to the next level. I feel that none of us have had the kind of coaching and rescue support that would allow us to push the limits. Iâd like to set up a session or two each year in the Gorge for those who want to do some advanced training camp with close coaching / video, and rescue support. I will also provide coaching and clinic support for our newcomers at annual Championships where practical.
Bram:

The SwiftSolo and you have been an inspiration to many, me included. Following in your footsteps has allowed me to have the courage to build my own single hand skiff, and I maintain hope that someday I can have the experience of building a SwiftSolo. Going through the same experience you did creating the SwiftSolo perhaps has given me a good perspective on the scope of your accomplishment.

Not many people have the drive and staying power to create something really new and then allow other people to share in the experience. I know my efforts in creating the Falco relied heavily on following a trail you broke.

I hope you've had a spectacular day sailing your boat. I also hope your memories of sailing your SwiftSolo remain as vivid and sharp as being there. In one way, your retirement from active sailing may be great to everyone - lots of new folks like me really need the benefit of your experience to become better single handed skiff sailors. As you know, I'm beginning an effort to pull together single hand performance sailors for events, and your feedback already has been great at defining what I should be putting together.

I'm already thinking ahead for next year's Ottawa Skiff Grand Prix - maybe we'll try to get you and Jane here to run a clinic for us .... just a thought. I'm sure you will be a hot commodity on the training circuit!

Cheers,

Bill Strosberg,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

JPEG image