an ammendment to the class rules

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: an ammendment to the class rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:33:04 EDT

To our class officers and members,
I would like to propose an amendment to our class  rules.  The primary
objective is to  limit the length of centerboards with a secondary objective of
blunting the  trailing edge to something less than razor sharp for safety
reasons.

Recent developments in other high performance have led to  extremely high
aspect blades that are nearly two feet longer than the longest  Swift blade
I've
seen to date.  While it may be OK for boats with crews to deal with this
extraordinary  blade, launching a Swift alone while trying to deal with a blade
this long would  be difficult for seasoned skiff sailors and impossible for
everyone else. While  landing on beaches, these blades will be equally tough to
deal with alone.
The problem would normally be self correcting, however, I fear that these
blades will become necessary in light to medium air if a sailor hopes to be
competitive. Without an amendment, someone is certain to develop a long board
and I feel it would be counterproductive to wait till that happens to decide to

outlaw them.  That process would  discourage future blade or rigging
development because those who spend their  time and money working on
improvements
would not be inclined to continue.  Faster, easier, cheaper, and more  durable
should always be our goal.
The trailing edge issue is simply an issue of  safety.  A sharp blade will
likely  be imperceptibly faster than a blunted blade.  There is a very real
danger that a Swift  sailor could seriously cut himself during the righting
process and not get to  help in time.  I would suggest that  the rule contain
the
following language:  Blades shall be built in such a manner  that when a spacer
gauge with parallel sides 2 mm apart is placed astride of the  trailing edge,
the  gauge shall not  be penetrated more than Ââ.
It is my hope to persuade our executive board to move on this before it
becomes a problem.  I would  appreciate it if your input is posted on the
mailing
list so everyone can hear  any arguments to help them make a decision.  I'm
inclined to use 55â as the maximum  finished overall length unless boards
already exist that are a bit  longer.