Re: an ammendment to the class rules

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: an ammendment to the class rules
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:36:51 -0600
I did not see my response to Bram come over the list. I don't know the over-all length of my board but it is 48" from the bottom of the boat. I think that would make it somewhere in the 61" - 62" range. To some extent I agree with Keith. We can make things so restrictive that you would be hard pressed to call it a development class. I don't know if my board is faster or slower than Bram's. I do know that tea bagging is slow. Until I can make it around the course on Bram's tail without swimming, I will worry about my ability first. One blown tack, one blown jibe, one blown toss, etc. will have a greater bearing on my place that if my board is a little longer.

As for the trailing edge. I'm not sure. I only been cut once by a board and that was falling off a 420 while trying to watch what the rookie was doing who caused the capsize in the first place. The trailing edge would have been in Bram's tolerance. I was cut because it was an impact tear on my shin. Thankfully we do not have bailors on the bottom either. Same boat different rookie left me with a scar in my thigh. I guess there is a certain amount in inherent risk in sailing and it should be up to the sense of lack there of for the owner/operator to manage.