Re: an ammendment to the class rules

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: an ammendment to the class rules
From: Christian Rasmussen <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:51:45 -0400
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Bram,

Limiting of high aspect boards doesn't meet the "faster" part of the "Faster, easier, cheaper" Unless you mean faster grounding. :-)

I was hoping to do some experimentation with boards myself and would like to see the rule left open for
at least another couple of years. If builders make their own boards, then they are about $300 a board, so I think
its within everyones reach to experiment with alternate boards. At the very least I think the 55 inch limit
should be more like 65 inches.

I dont have a problem with the safety rule.

Christian

BDally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:

To our class officers and members,

I would like to propose an amendment to our class rules. The primary objective is to limit the length of centerboards with a secondary objective of blunting the trailing edge to something less than razor sharp for safety reasons.

Recent developments in other high performance have led to extremely high aspect blades that are nearly two feet longer than the longest Swift blade I've seen to date. While it may be OK for boats with crews to deal with this extraordinary blade, launching a Swift alone while trying to deal with a blade this long would be difficult for seasoned skiff sailors and impossible for everyone else. While landing on beaches, these blades will be equally tough to deal with alone.

The problem would normally be self correcting, however, I fear that these blades will become necessary in light to medium air if a sailor hopes to be competitive. Without an amendment, someone is certain to develop a long board and I feel it would be counterproductive to wait till that happens to decide to outlaw them. That process would discourage future blade or rigging development because those who spend their time and money working on improvements would not be inclined to continue. Faster, easier, cheaper, and more durable should always be our goal.

The trailing edge issue is simply an issue of safety. A sharp blade will likely be imperceptibly faster than a blunted blade. There is a very real danger that a Swift sailor could seriously cut himself during the righting process and not get to help in time. I would suggest that the rule contain the following language: Blades shall be built in such a manner that when a spacer gauge with parallel sides 2 mm apart is placed astride of the trailing edge, the gauge shall not be penetrated more than Ââ.

It is my hope to persuade our executive board to move on this before it becomes a problem. I would appreciate it if your input is posted on the mailing list so everyone can hear any arguments to help them make a decision. I'm inclined to use 55â as the maximum finished overall length unless boards already exist that are a bit longer.