Fwd: an ammendment to the class rules

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: an ammendment to the class rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:51:50 EDT
--- Begin Message ---
To: Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: an ammendment to the class rules
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:50:37 EDT
Full-name: BDally6107
Christian,

Good to hear from you

Once a few 7 foot long 6" wide boards have been made by Swift  owners I
personally will fight like hell to convince the class  that they should never
be
banned.  It is  unjust to those who go through the trouble and expense of doing
the  R&D to change the rules in the middle of the game when it  can be avoided
with simple planning.  I currently have a boat  with a cut down 49er blade
and one with a 53" blade and can tell you with  certainty that when landing or
starting from a beach, the longer 53" blade  is significantly more difficult to
deal with alone.  Add a couple of  feet and only those of us who are lucky
enough to sail several times a week  will get good enough to beech the boat
without breaking vang arms and  tearing the cheeks out of mainsails when the
wind
is up.

It could be argued that the difficulty of using the longer blade will be
self limiting, however, I fear that you may have no choice if you  expect to
have
a chance to win in light to medium air.

The "faster, easier, cheaper" principle was intended to be  taken in context.
 I could have designed the Swift in the beginning to  be significantly faster
if we were willing to give up "easier" Honoring the  principle means that we
should strive, whenever possible,  to accomplish all three simultaneously.
With the extreme blades  we will significantly reduce the number of people who
can sail the boat  competitively.

This proposed rule change should not discourage people from experimenting
with blade planforms or sections.  It is, I believe, in keeping with  the
spirit
of the class there remains a lot of other potential  worthwhile experiments
within the 55" limitation.  Even open  development classes have limitations and
it is often  those restrictions that lead to real innovation. It has been an
eye opener to see the latest I-14's become as fast as well sailed  49ers that
are 2 1/2 feet longer and 2 1/2 feet wider.  I'm more convinced  than ever
that the Swift is the fastest single handed  trapeze skiff to date and the
longer blades will likely add 1/20th of a  knot of boat speed in light to
medium
winds (this amounts to 50  yards for every half hour of racing).

If the class rejects such a rules change, I am the first to admit that I
will begin development of a seven foot board.  I will redevelop my  mainsail to
eliminate the cheeks and move the vang back to the top of the  boom to
facilitate hoisting the blade 30 inches in heavy air (the very  latest I-14s
are doing
this).  Since I mostly sail from a dock in very deep  water, it is not a
problem for me or others here in Seattle.  We do  need to decide if this is in
the
best interest of the class.

--- End Message ---