Re: This ain't fair!!!

To: RobertKi@xxxxxxxx, f.schliebitz@xxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: This ain't fair!!!
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:44:13 EST

Robert,

Thanks for the idea.

One of the issues that we are always fighting is the different sanding  rates
cause by various fillers and epoxy verses the cedar itself.  Most of  our
really serious final faring is done after the hull bottom is  glassed.  The
water
contact surfaces are coated with either epoxy/graphite  powder or colored two
part linear.  In both cases, this is usually  done after using some fairing
filler over any low spots in the glassed  hull finish.  I only point this out
because I believe you are talking about  final perfection and to get too
involved in that before glassing may not be the  best use of time.

It is a bit of a question regarding where or if you should get  really
serious with fairing or fairing / smoothness (1200 grit) to the  extreme.  I
suspect
that 10 years from now we will really be spending some  time getting them
perfect.  I currently have one boat from VMG that has the  most perfect bottom
I've even seen (on a boat) and since it has been sailed only  a few times, we
have determined if it matters that much (probably will be too  many other
variables to tell for several years yet).  That boat is just now  being sold.

Thanks again for the idea and input.  Let me know when you want to  give a
Swift a shot.  Where are you located?

In a message dated 1/5/2006 5:52:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,