RE: centerboard trrunk tips

To: <dardirmy@xxxxxxx>, <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: centerboard trrunk tips
From: "Rob DesMarais, D.C." <drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:25:14 -0600
Darius,

This is how I did it.

I ran a string down the centerline from the transom to the bow.

Leave a little sag so it just touches or is just above bulkhead 6.

You should take a level and go from chine to chine on the transom to make

sure it is level on your stand.

I cut out a rough chunk out of the hull where the daggerboard will go

through.  Just wide enough for the clamps to fit through.

Make a couple of blocks that fit snuggly into the opening of the CB. Find
the center of the hull through the cut out you just made into the

hull.  Looking at the strips was the way I determined it.

Mark a center line on the two blocks and align this with the marks on the

hull.  If you do the center fore and aft and than take a straight edge to

the blocs so they are aligned and there is no twist.  The reason i didn't do

one piece of wood is I couldn't get the clamp in to hold it.

I find green masking tape helpful to put down first and than mark on that so

you can see your lines.  Especially on the carbon.

Center lines on the mast step on the top should align with the string top.

I put some tape on the outline of the whole dry install and just double

check by visual and looking on bulkhead 6 to see if it aligns up.

When clamping the blocks to the hull, you need a couple of small blocks on

the outside of the hull to attach it to.

Make sure the inside ones and possibly the ones outside the hull have

plastic or tape on so they aren't permanently sealed in your hole.  The

other thing-because the trunk is slid over these blocks, you want to make

sure you can actually unscrew the clamp after you place the trunk over

them.  I used 6" clamps but had to place an extra spacer on top of the block

so i could loosen it after.

I'll be around this weekend if you need to call.   501258-2123