This ain't fair!!!

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: This ain't fair!!!
From: "Felix Schliebitz" <f.schliebitz@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:54:28 +0100
Gee, again.

What an awesome looking shape that is. I guess this is one of the few boats
that I've seen that look just as beautiful when it's upside down. Good thing
the boat can be tipped over while sailing . whenever you get sick of the
complexity of your deck layout :o).

I agree with Mark and Bram. Unless you are vacuum-bagging the glass onto
your hull there is no reason to get crazy before you glass and
graphite/epoxy the bottom of the hull. No big gains to be made at this
stage.

It's also a good idea to wait until you've glassed the inside. I know
whoever is going to use those plastic staples is going to hate me when he is
trying to get the boat of the moulds, but . the strips won't flex as much
either, while you are fairing and glassing. But don't take this decision
lightly. You might end up with a few terrible tool marks on the inside and
some of your moulds might truly suffer, if you don't use the right tools and
don't spend two cents on two extra bags of patience for that day.

Another way to prevent your hull from flexing too much is using as little
pressure as possible while you are sanding and change your sandpaper more
frequently. I know this is almost impossible when you are trying to sand the
graphite/epoxy. You need to use some pressure to get the sandpaper to work
at all. I know it's tempting to get the bottom all perfect before you
continue onto another project like the inside and deck, but. you should wait
until you've married the deck and the hull together. Things might settle and
twist a bit while you do that. I guess Bill could sing a song or two about
that. I think Tom and I started on fairing the bottom, but stopped when we
considered that we will make the awful experience of a lot of little things
changing while the deck is put on. Good thing we don't have to cotton-caulk
the seams or deck on this design . thanks Bram :o).

Have fun.

Felix :o)

  _____