Re: Spin Pole

To: Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spin Pole
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:28:30 EST
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian and Rob and others,

I just today got the following attached and supposedly amended spreadsheet
from Fisheries.  Throw away the one Christian just gave you as this one is  an
amended version of his original list.

This should help a lot, however, without spending a couple of hours on it,  I
can't be sure that it matches the other list 100%.  Chris  Kennedy believes
that it does.

One difficulty that always surfaces in this discussion is the notion that
there is a right and wrong sheave or fairlead or piece of rope.  I own 3
Swifts
(actually just sold one) and none of them are rigged the same way.   When you
see USA 013 in Florida you will see a boat that has many new and  exciting
(but untested) ideas on it that have changed since last year.   Even after
testing and believing that we've moved forward, others may  disagree.  If they
do
agree that it is an improvement, do I then  rewrite the rigging manual every
month?  From time to  time builders have suggested that I compile a nut / bolt
screw/  washer list.  Spending 2 hours trying to figure out why the kit was
short a 12 cent screw instead of sailing just isn't my calling!   When  several
builders suggested that we change back to the old style Ronstan cheek  blocks
because the balls would fall out on the new style if you  weren't careful
before you installed the center screw, I should have  realized that the rigging
manual would no longer have the correct pictures in it  and that you can't
stack
the old style for the shock cord in the  transom--sorry.

The object of working with Fisheries and Ronstan was to get the vast
majority of parts wholesale for our builders.  Generally you are saving  about
40%
off of the retail price.  Please do not believe that if you buy  this kit you
will not have to ever make a trip to your local marine hardware  store.  I hope
I've not misled anyone into believing that to be the  case.

At Fort Desoto we will go over all of the newest innovations  (most reduce
parts and require no new holes) and show you how to make them with  little or
no
expense.  I nearly all cases you'll end up with more  spare parts in your
tool kit that you can use to try your own ideas and  innovations.  One day I'm
determined to show up with a Swift that  integrates all rig adjustments to one
string that you simply pull on  further as the wind increases.  I'm working
hard on this and expect to have  it perfected in a couple of years.

Rob, because it sounds like you are short a couple of fairleads, I will
shortly post the latest method of attaching the transom bridle that requires no

fittings except a couple of small plastic stopper balls.  I need to take
pictures and show you why I've done this in order to convey the whole  picture.

Give me a few days.