Re: Class Rules Opinions please

To: "Steve Nichols" <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Class Rules Opinions please
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:19:32 -0600
I think you can build the forestay fitting any way you want and there is nothing stopping you from building a tub that comes all the way back. I don't think you would want the tube to go below deck though. One of the reasons the Swift took the direction it did with the rigging is that Bram came from the 49'er and was using 49'er parts to build the early boats because that was what was easy to get a hold of. Now that the 49'er parts are hard to get and the boat design seems to be sorted out well, we can start to look at diffrent ways of rigging the boats. Remember that the keys are the hull shape, sail dimentions, mast, boom, and sprit lengths, and placement of the forestay. There should be a PDF of all of the current measurment rules somewhere.

So far if you can find a faster, lighter, cheeper way to rig the boat, I'm sure we are all interested.