Re: Class Rules Opinions please

To: aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Class Rules Opinions please
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:19:28 EDT
Steve,

Just a couple of observations.
First, be sure to understand that I will always play the devils advocate in
these matters simply to provide a different perspective.  That having been
said, nearly every good idea I've had has had opponents that could give me a
list of reasons why it was a bad idea.  Read on with that in mind.

I suspect you may be tackling a phantom problem.  First, our pole is
identical to a 49er pole except it is more than 25% lighter.   Because the
swing test
will be done with the pole at the designated  extension/retraction, further
reduction in weight will need to be compensated  for with lead correction in
the front of the boat.  Second, when the  current launching system is set up
correctly, I've not noticed any problems  with the pole hanging up either while
launching or dousing.  The Swift  system has far less resistance than the 49er.
  Finally, not a single  pole has been broken that I am aware of.
Admittedly, there is point  loading at the forestay fitting, however, the pole
is beefed
up at that  spot.  One motivation for your system might be to reduce the size
and  weight of the pole assembly so that you can add another system that
requires  some weight up front.  If that is the case, It may be worth looking
at
pursuing a rules change.

Please take all of this with a grain of salt.