building the centerboard

To: Swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: building the centerboard
From: "Warren Stevens" <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:15:23 -0800
Sender: warren.stevens@xxxxxxxxx
I have a question for you those of you who have build
centerboards/rudders.  Today was my centerboard day; hopefully this
weekend I'll put the rudder together.

When you put the saddles on the layup, what kind of perfection are you
looking for in alignment?  Presumably the two saddles should be able
to touch their leading edges together if not for the extra material in
the layup.

When I layed mine up, the saddles were offset (at the trunk end) by
around 1/8" - if I kept pressing them together they'd miss each other
by 1/8".  I tried to fix this a couple times, but the problem I ran
into is it (could? would?) lead to the layup sliding up and off, which
wouldn't be good.

As it stands, the entire thing fell off one side of the supports, and
so I wound up breaking it off the other and laying it flat.  There
must be a better way once the layup is done.

Thanks
Warren

--
warren stevens - catzooks.com - 299f3c94-d7c1-11da-95c0-00e08161165f