Re: Re: building the centerboard

To: "BDally6107@xxxxxxx" <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: building the centerboard
From: "Warren Stevens" <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:33:57 -0800
Cc: gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=U7aE/VKLgSIqADJ2cQCuDCT4EA7hHOb50l1+N3lrJxRk18eeH7nXnl/acsNYMbXyIFPAlCHRJgObX16duD46NP3CrpuQiC1zZ03dekaeF8rqDaprKxxiMjRyXQEW63QPIbuJtuqlNJKrtDlhmnBR9sPGxV1f0IDIR9pyaahJ3NQ=
Sender: warren.stevens@xxxxxxxxx
I've pulled the peel ply off my board, and started shaping it.  There
are a couple observations:

1) the outer skin (at least) is resin starved.  I'm pretty amazed by
this - I was quite careful to ensure that each application of epoxy
saturated the level, all the way down to the trailling edge, and I
squeegeed everything slightly to ensure even application.  I think
what happened is the absorbent layer was too absorbent - I used cotton
similar to t-shirt weight, and it was just too thirsty.  I'll use
muslin on the rudder.

2) On the rudder, I think i'm going to clamp the fabric exiting the
trailing edge with two strips of cedar on either side.  Given that
there's just point contact on the trailing edges with the saddles, and
the saddles may not align perfectly, this seems like a reasonable
precaution.

3) I'm thinking of putting a strip or two of cedar through the length
of the rudder.  Not sure on this yet.

I'm using the thick (v1) version of the foam cores - the ones you
built with, Bram.  I'll keep shaping this weekend.

Warren