Re: building the centerboard

To: warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: building the centerboard
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:37:33 EST
Warren,
I started making my foils without the benefit of the Center Board 101 PDF, so
the first layer of hybrid went on with my saddles laying flat.  Then I
contacted Bram and he sent the detailed instructions.  But this mistake gave me
nice stiff blank to epoxy to the stands (see picture).  When I made my stands,
C-clamped little ledges of 1"x1" wood to support the saddles backed with
hardboard (masonite).  I hinged the leading edge side of the saddles together
with
duct tape in several places to help hold them in place while clamping.  The
ledges supported the lower ends of the saddles while getting the clamps in
place, but not tight, along the top of the saddle.  Once all of the clamps were
ready for tightening, I pulled down on the plastic sheeting covering the peel
ply to tighten the layup before final clamping.  One problem that I created for
myself was leaving too much material (peel ply and plastic sheeting) hanging
down from the trailing edge.  I rolled it up to allow the clamps to reach the
trailing edge of the saddles and it hardened to such a mess that I had
difficulty cutting it off and removing the peel ply from my layup.  The
trailing edges
came out great despite the mess, but I advise cutting off the extra material
before it sets.

Good Luck.
Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040