Re: finding cedar

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: finding cedar
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:23:38 -0700
No problem that question I had an answer for. I found somewhere that someone smarter than me had done a lot of research on what angle a joint should be to minimize waste and maximize strenght. I think it was the kayak building book Bram had on his web site. First I used butt joints on my canoe. That worked fine but it left a lot of fairing to do. Then on another boat I would scarf join them but put the strips together on the strongback. That was better but still a lot of planing and sanding to fair in. I did find that if the joint was over a station, it held better and I had less of a chance shooting a staple trough the strip and into my finger. The best has been to join the pieces prior to heading to the router and I'd even run the strips through a thickness planer. This made my trip to the router table much easier and I had very little sanding and scraping to fair things in.

Welcome to one of the best classes on the planet. Our pre regatta rigging sessions are a great time and everyone, I mean everyone gets involved and helps out. Great guys and great boats.

Oh and you've found one of the best places for help. Most answers come much faster than this though.