Re: finding cedar

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: finding cedar
From: christopher rudesill <rudie1964@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:18:01 -0800 (PST)
Matt,
  I don't know if Lowes or Home Despot get lumber nationally or just
regionally.  If nationally, I have been able to find cedar 2X4 and 2X6 stock
and a lot of it clear in 16 foot lengths, but I do live in Seattle.  Also, it
is not dried.  I also pulled out the flat sawn stock so that when I ripped it
down on the table saw. The strips would be quartered then (as someone else
mentioned).  The blade I use is a 71/4 diameter thin Kerf carbide rip blade
(.032 in) with stabilizers.  I can get about 10 sticks out of a 2X4.  I also
set my saw up to cut them a little more than 1/4 inch to allow for shrinkage
and sanding.  Don't know if any of that is useful.

  Chris Rudesill
  (The Seattle boat-building slow-poke-- Bram, I will get there one of these
years, I promise!)

Matt Broughton <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Having a helluva time finding cedar planks in SC.  Is anyone nearby that can
suggest a place to look?

If worst comes to worst I've got a local lumber yard that can order, but that
gets very expensive very quick.  I'll be calling some folks in Myrtle Beach and
Columbia today, but I thought I'd turn to the list and see if anyone's got any
leads in this corner of the country.

I'd be willing to drive several hours in any direction (SC, GA, NC, maybe FL or
VA if price is right) to get a few nice clear WRC planks.

--
Matt B.