Re: finding cedar

To: "Matt Broughton" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: finding cedar
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:30:50 -0700
I don't think you need the U-Haul and finding a truck with a 16' bed will "costa huevos" as they say in the old country. On top should be fine. Tie them together with tape so that they don't bend as much and you should do fine. Prepare a work area where you can lay them out flat once you get them home. This whole process isn't that precise. You'll have some warping and cracking depending on how wet the cedar is. The saw mills don't heat treat cedar like they do pine and often ship it wet. If you get hit with water while cutting the strips, you can let them dry for a while before you strip but it will help the polly glues go off and you'll have the strips on the strongback long enough that they will be dry by the time you start glassing.