Re: finding cedar

To: matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: finding cedar
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:06:48 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2007 5:00:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I gave a  call to them and Blanton Building in Little River that I got from
that same  site (WRCLA)  both places said they didn't have any clear planks but
they  do have a ready supply of 2x8's in lengths 12'-18'.

I was  wondering how much of a difference it makes if I scarf around where I
cut the  knots out?  I'm thinking if I use the same piece and just cut the
knot  out I can probably keep the grain reasonably matched up.  Might not be
perfect, but would it be that visible?  Do I have any other  options?  Are any
other wood choices viable that might be more readily  available in the area?

*sigh* It's the little fiddly things like this  that I've got no clue about.

-Matt

Matt,
Your local supplier may be willing to order some flat-sawn WRC Clear in 16'
lengths for you and even deliver them directly to you.  This may cost a
little more per board foot but save you the cost of gas and travel to
Charlotte.
The 5/4" boards are used for outdoor decking and should be  common.  I know
that there are several sources in the RI area.  Even  my neighborhood lumber
yard carries the clear WRC.  Good luck in sourcing  the lumber and welcome to
the
class.  As you can see, there are many of us  to help you along the way.
Please consider joining us at the 2008 National  Regatta in April, even without
your completed Swift Solo.

Bill Scheumann