Re: CLASS RULES

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CLASS RULES
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:59:04 -0500
Bram OK, you invited comment so I hope this will be viewed as constructive
rather than carping. Come on you other silent guys I know you are reading this
and laughing out loud at the Fools.  Lets get constructive and post only what
we need to for rules discussion without reposting old stuff we have already
moved past.

 Part A 2.1.4 Delete this it gives non owners a vote. I would not want to
disenfranchise officers of the class who are not boat owners. Say a volunteer
class measurer who has retired from active sailing. How about this wording ----

 2.4.1 The privilege to be elected as a member of the ISSA Executive or to
another ISSA Office and once so elected to vote on all matters before the ISSA.

 Part B

We seem to be having trouble with a clause in 3.1a --- (but prior to
completion)

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. You could include language like (but
prior to mating the deck and topsides) but why not leave it as is.

An interpretation (or measurer instruction) is easier to change than a rule
(must go through the ISAF once approved) An interpretation could read. A
completed hull is defined as one where the deck has been permanently bonded to
the hull regardless of the addition or not of reinforcement or of optional
fittings.

I think currently the registration fee authorized in 3.1b and 3.1c are combined
in the $75 fee we have all be talking about.

 The final clause in rule 3.1 is

The cost of plans shall include the designer's Royalty for one boat and the
ISAF registration fee. Hull ID and Sail numbers are issued by the International
Secretary upon receipt of payment of the designer's royalty and the ISAF
registration fee

 we should change it to ----

The cost of plans shall include the designer's Royalty for one boat and the
registration fees, if any (subrule 3.1b and 3.1c). A Registration certificate,
ISSA Plaque, Hull ID number and Sail numbers shall be issued by the
International Secretary upon receipt of payment of the designer's royalty and
the registration fees and proof of a partially completed hull and deck.

 Rule 3.11 is really about measurement certificates and needs to be subordinate
to rule 3.1 and should read like this

3.1.1            Measurement certificates.

Application for ISSA measurement certificates shall be the responsibility of
the builder or owner. The ISSA will issue official measurement certificates to
each registered boat when the following conditions have been fulfilled: .

a)       Measurement Form: An official measurer shall complete the Measurement
Form, and, if satisfied, shall certify thereon that the boat complies with the
Class Rules. When this form and the registration certificate is produced by the
owner and accepted by the ISSA an official measurement certificate shall be
issued.

delete 3.1.1b

The paragraph numbering is wrong on 3.3 -3.5 and needs to be amended

3.2               A Measurement Certificate

should be
3.4        A Measurement Certificate

 The same with 3.5  REGISTERED SWIFT SOLOS and all its subsections

The figure representing the coast guard approved  format of the Hull ID number
does not show. This should be repaired

Before  the ratification of the rules an interpretation should be added that
states that the ISSA official representative until the Inaugural elections are
held is Bram Dally.

OK on to the ensign debate

Imagine a fleet of Swifts, 25 of them sailing just off the beach, say 500
yards. Sleek boats 4 inches out of the water skipping through the 2 ft wind
chop in 12 kt wind everyone fully trapped out,  everyone in the fast horizontal
position taking best effect of their new skinny carbon masts made from the
class mandrill  - well sailed swifts - in a very important championship
regatta. Everyone has a new set of New Pride cut down 49er sails - crystal
clear sails with ISAF regulated sail numbers and Swift insignias pasted to
their sails. All the boats are the same, all the crews look the same, Bram and
Bram are there right on the line  but from the shore or even the committee boat
on the other end of the line (set unfortunately to favor the port end) one cant
see the hulls, they are mostly below the waves, the crew are too, and the sails
are crystal. That advertises the class doesn't it. I know I cannot see my 49er
when it is more than 500yds from the beach. "Poof" like magic it disappears if
you take your eye off it until going downwind when I can see its characteristic
spinni shape. Everyone knows the 49er by the shape.  There is a long tradition
of Skiffs wearing markings on the sail to make the boats known. (I wouldn't
expect the Yanks to know this, being as they have a history of favoring slow
old tubs) . Without something there on the mainsail we will be invisible.
Guaranteed. Maybe we should also consider writing as the 49ers do, "Swift
Solo.org" on the mainsail near the swift logo  as part of the class insignia.

Seriously though, the Mainsail designs allow you to personalize your boat and
give it some character which people outside the class will remember. The design
you make up and are not at all expensive - usually "Insignia" sticky-back
material which is cheap and available in many bright colors and is tried and
tested. Our class logo is constructed of this material so we know it works.
Better "intense" colored Rip-stop nylon patches have also been used, these are
lighter and thinner and stick very well. You could go all out and get graphic
designed 15 year nylon from a boat lettering place, but its not necessary.
Spray paint over a paper stencil does a fabulous job. I covered a whole 49er
main with the statue of liberty image for the 9/11 remembrance. Looked
spectacular!

I look forward to laughing at the funniest ensign and would like to see a prize
for the "best taste ensign" given at the last BBQ of the championships each
year. How about that ISSA rep? Already we have a motly fool and a flower with
pricks theme going on....how about "pants on fire" for you Bram ;-)

Nobody needs sponsorship for $10 worth of insignia. On the other hand if
Ronstan was to give me personally real money....

 5.5 -5.6 Really how much of an official Paranoid Fool would you have to be not
to realize that the rule is meant to stop corruption. OK so say in each rule..

5.5            Boats and their equipment shall be officially measured only by
official measurers appointed by duly appointed officials of the International
Technical Committee ("ITC") in consultation with the elected ISSA Executive
committee officials (IEC) or an appointed official of  the ISAF.

5.6            No owner may officially measure his own boat, sails or
equipment, nor may a builder or sail maker officially measure his own products
for the purposes of obtaining an official measurement certificate.

5.7 Mo owner may approach his boat with a tape measure or any

Rule 5.12.4

Deleting perpendicular to the centerline one would then have to measure
diagonally from the AMP to the shrouds. If that is the way you think it should
be what the heck. That would put the shroud attachments points anywhere along
an arc at that distance from the AMP. I don't think that is your intent.
Instead specify the forward and side displacement of the attachments from the
perpendicular centerline and the AMP for each attachment point +/-  tolerance
and stipulate they be symmetrical.

 Rule 5.13.3b  needs to have "shall exceed 60mm" changed to 75mm

OK  by me.

Rule 5.13.6c needs to have any sectional limitation removed

My reading -- there is no sectional limitation but there is a plan limitation.
Plan as I define it is the side view of the board perpendicular to the
longitudinal and chord axis of the foil. Removing the plan axis would make the
board completely free of design constraints except single unballasted floating
foil.

Here is the rule  as it stands ---

The centerboard may be of any construction or plan and sectional shape,
provided that it does not exceed the maximum plan profile shown in the full
size measurement diagrams or the dimensions given in Appendix A and
Instructions to measurers

 Rule 5.13.6 e should include language informing builders how to get the needed
information

 Rule 5.13.6

e) The plan and sectional shape of the rudder foil is identical to that of the
official rudder foil of the International 49er class and is reproduced as
offsets and full size section shape template provided in the instructions to
measurers appendixed to these Rules as Instructions to measurers.

 OK does that do it?

Greg

Swift Solo -- Rose