Re: CLASS RULES

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CLASS RULES
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:34:05 -0500
Fairly clear thanks for your post Rob. As I read the rules. $300 royalty and
$75 fee. But I believe this fee is to cover the ISAF fee charged to the class
for administration (any remainder for other class overhead such as reporting to
ISAF, filing your rule change requests etc.). ISAF is the international body
that governs our sport, sets the racing rules of sailing, overlooks and
validates the class as an entity. The ISAF fee would be payable on any boat
wishing to enter the class. It is the onus of the class to collect that due. It
is payable only once, on initial registration of the hull. Any commercial
builder will of course pass on all costs to the buyer anyway so lets not split
hairs and nickel and dime everyone at time of sale (an American pastime,
couldn't resist the dig!).

Pay for a brand new boat from a Certified Commercial Builder and expect to get
proof of new built hull, a Swift Logo, a Hull and Sail number and an official
registration certificate.

Lets keep it simple and it should be uniformly accepted and dealt with. In
terms of Certified Commercial Builders our course seems fairly obvious. Since
we seem to be worried mainly about second or additional hulls that could be
built "sans fees" impacting the health of the class, and since the commercial
builder has the biggest stake in continuation of the class and therefore his
revenue, it makes sense that she would ensure the payment of  the fee and just
collect it from the buyer at point of sale. If you are contemplating building a
series of skiffs then I would encourage you to seek out certification from the
class so that you can sell a "value added endorsed product" with the Class'
endorsement of your quality and integrity. The Class should actively work to
promote and support its partner certified builders and parts suppliers. This
should be a reciprocal relationship.

The ISSA web site will make it abundantly clear what a Registered Swift is,
making it unlikely for a "bootleg" builder to ever sell a Swift without a
registration certificate. I never seriously expect our obviously highly ethical
certified builders would ever do this but it could be tempting to a
flybynighter and we need to guard against it by some means. Buyers of second
hand boats should expect to get at least a registration certificate and would
be wise to get a measurement certificate too. The measurer cannot issue a
measurement certificate without evidence of a valid registration certificate.
The class may authorize a re-registration fee for second hand boats if it wants
but the point of the re-registration requirements are to keep us all in
communication so I hope the fee, if any, is not in the least prohibitive.
Membership, and having your say in the class governance by the ISSA ,is
restricted to boat owners (i.e. those with a valid rego certificate) and it
will be worth your while not to miss out on the great email newsletters that I
have heard planned and other goodies, support and info racing and rigging tips
that will come up from time to time to benefit the members.

So I propose let the fees structure rules stand as is,  For the first boat $375
in Royalty and ISAF fees payable at plan purchase plus $200 for the printing
and administration of the actual plans and glossy builders booklets (one great
one is yet to come)  and access to 16/7 technical help, OR on the second and
subsequent hulls, $375 before closing the clamshell with Proof that the closure
date is after the Registration certificate date so that the boat cannot be
sailed in any races without fees being paid. This puts the onus on the builder
to document,ante up a small amount of cash, and register the hull. The
registration certificate issued assures subsequent buyers that the proper fees
have been paid on that hull and they are getting a genuine article. If you lend
your sections to a buddy he will have to pay the same registation and ISAF fees
as you did but only gets the benefit of a tired old set of builders
instructions.

If, as a builder, you make your decision to close the clamshell without
registration fees being paid you are not building a Swift no matter how close a
copy and likely the hull will be fairly worthless. The class will ignore any
pleas to register the boat under any circumstances.  If you sell such hulls as
Swifts you may be liable fraud and to infringement of copyright laws and the
destruction of your reputation.

I guarantee I will have a handy dandy Bilge Cam ready for you all before the
next championships to CATCH ALL THOSE CHEATERS. They will be available to
official measurers for $100 or close to. The video stream can be recorded on
your standard videocam. Bilge Cam Plans will be posted on the new NYCSkiffs.org
site so that you can construct and/or  improve the design if you so wish.

Sawdust is not a food group but is very good for making satisfying boogers.
Greg Ryan Ph.D.

A little known factoid
Japan-based Fuji Spinning company has developed the sartorial equivalent of an
orange: A vitamin C enriched t-shirt called V-Up. The shirt is made from fibers
that contain a chemical called Pro-Vitamin that leaches into the skin, giving
the wearer the equivalent of two lemons worth of vitamins. The company is in
the process of designing shirts loaded with other vitamins, and working on a
design for enriched underwear.

Swift Solo - Rose