CLASS RULES

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: CLASS RULES
From: Harveynestor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:39:19 EST
Bram:

       First of all, you did in fact say that among the purposes of requiring
photographs of boats prior to  their decks being bonded to their hulls was to
insure payment of two hundred dollars ($200.) for a set of plans for each and
every boat built. You told me that it is to insure that people do not build
"bootleg" boats, and I asked what a "bootleg" boat is.  You told me that it is
a boat built by someone who has not purchased a set of plans for the boat in
question prior to its construction.
To make sure I had not misunderstood you, I then asked you if a boat built on
an existing jig that was identical in every way to a boat that did measure in
as a Swift Solo would be denied a measurement certificate if two hundred
dollars ($200.) had not been paid for a set of plans for it, and you said it
would
be denied a measurement certificate because it would be a "bootleg" boat.

       That does mean that you would in fact be requiring payment of five
hundred dollars ($500.) and not just three hundred dollars ($300.) for each and
every boat built.

       Second, I did realize that you were basing things upon circular
arguments and you would not reveal them to me.  That is why I asked who was a
party
to the meeting, so that I could get the multiple reasons and probably their
multiple reasons, possibly almost ad infinitum, from someone else.  I have not
called you a liar.  I am sorry you have taken things that way.

       When I asked you the other reasons for the photograph you said that
has to do with construction issues.  I asked what the construction issues are,
and you said it has to do with the bulkheads because the intended camera
inspection does not really work properly and it would be evidence that could be
used
to catch "cheaters."  At that point I asked how the photograph requirement
could stop a determined "cheater" and you had no explanation and said it had to
do with other construction issues as well, possibly as many as eight, ten, or
twelve.  And since when I then asked you what the other construction issues
are you would not go into any of them I asked who else was at the meeting
concerning this rule.

       I would like to understand all of the issues involved in the rule.
That, again, is why I would like to contact persons who have knowledge of these
issues.

       I would also like a set of mylar templates that I can use to measure
my boat before completion.  I realize that no such templates now exist.
However, since, I presume, you are in possession of the set of full size plans
referred to in the rules and from which meausrement templates will be made, if
mail you enough rolled mylar film to make such templates, will you make me a
set
of such templates and mail them to me if I pay the postage for you to mail
them to me?

       I do fear being singled out as a "cheater".  From the beginning when I
have asked about measurement rules you have said that only "cheaters" need
worry about them and have implied that it is not the rules but their violation
with which I am really concerned.  In fact, IT IS ONLY COMPLIANCE WITH THE
RULES WITH WHICH I AM CONCERNED.  I do of  course want a competitive boat and
not
some bungled job with, for example, fifteen pounds of lead at the mast.
Initially though I was told that lead corrector weights could be placed
anywhere on
the deck as long as the boat still passed the "swing" test.  The little
requirement that lead be placed at the mast changes things considerably and
indeed
I would have been a fool if I had built my boat under the mistaken assumption
that what I was told would be the rule was applicable.  I was also told I
could use any laminate schedule I liked for my boat as long as it was declared
at
the time of measurement.  Now I find that too is not the case.  Indeed I would
have been a fool if I had built my boat under the assumption that was the
rule.  I really do not want to look like a fool, especially publically.  Who
does?  Do you?  At any rate perhaps I will put a big picture of a fool on my
mainsail as my ensign and name my boat THE FOOL.

       Furthermore, since the "spirit of the rules" plays such an important
role in how they are interpreted, it is reasonable to know the reasoning and
issues behind them in order to be acquainted with their true spirit and not
some
misunderstanding or misinterpretation of that spirit.  The rules contain
vagaries that in all probability it will be sought of their spirit to explain.

      I anticipate that I will receive your timely reply as it is almost four
months since I purchased a set of plans from which to build my Swift Solo,
and I am anxious to complete my boat with the knowledge that I have complied
with the rules and that my boat has been built to conform to the measurement
templates.

       Eldon