Re: CLASS RULES

To: Harveynestor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CLASS RULES
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:57:49 EST
Eldon,

Just a note of clarification:

I have no recollection of any discussion of additional fees ($200?).  If you
buy a set of plans and templates you can allow others to use your "jig" to
build subsequent boats for $300 each.  They need to pay that fee prior to
bonding
the hull and deck.  Failure to do so will simply mean that those boats will
never be awarded a measurement certificate or allowed to race in class
sanctioned races.  Certainly we do not want to be in the business of dealing
with
"bootlegged boats" (boats that are built without paying the $300 license fee).

 Apparently you have missed the emails that I've sent on the list server
regarding the rules.  They have indeed taken longer than expected and without
much
good input from our members, they would likely be deficient and have taken
longer yet.  As stated in earlier emails to the class, if you use reasonable
care to follow the manual and do not attempt to redesign the station templates
you will have a very liberal margin for error.  If, on the other hand, the
measurer detects that any builder has made a deliberate attempt to modify the
design, that boat will not measure.  Typically, The Measurer will be looking
for
boats that have been pinched in to the edge of the rules in the bow area
especially or built to the minimums all over.  In order for that to be a
legitimate
mistake a builder would have to miscut every template on the small side by a
1/4" all over--not likely an accident.  It should be noted that the standards
for the swing test will not be established until we have "swung" a significant
number of boats.

As for your concern about the fee--you raise a good question.  Email, rules,
a new rigging manual and construction issues are taking at least 8 hours a day
and have been since early this summer.  I have spent more than $100,000
related to design, research and development on the Swift Solo.  I have nearly
four
years of my life tied up in the boat as well.  The class now owns mandrels for
both the mast and the boom.  In short, I would hope that the dumbest among us
could come up with a better money making scheme than this one.

I can say with reasonable certainty that I've never implied to anyone that
subsequent boats built on the same jigs were not going to have to pay the $300
license fee.

Some of the items that your fees pay for are class advertising and promotion
(look for ads in Wooden Boat and elsewhere over the next several months)
research and development (right now for carbon reinforced mast parts that can
be
built by class members instead of having to purchase them at 5 0r 6 times the
cost and 4 times the weight).  In addition, I have begun traveling to help
certify builders, printing 24X36 posters.  Future costs will include more
hanging
scales, measurement templates, and swing test equipment for measurers and
measurement.  We will be putting on our first regatta next summer at Higgins
Lake
in Michigan along with a prior training session.  The entry fees will not come
close to covering the costs of that event (we expect about 15 boats).  Soon, I
expect to travel to Europe to certify builders and to help ensure that the
class takes off everywhere.  The list of expenses is long.

On the other side of the ledger, I'm having the time of my life.  I've
retried with a respectable income from the building industry and am following
my
passion--building the Swift Solo Class.  I'm meeting the nicest bunch of people
imaginable.  I just returned from Michigan yesterday.  I spent several days
with an incredible operation that will be our first listed certified builder
(I'll be posting more as soon as this bug leaves my system).  In addition, I
spent
nearly a full day with Meade
Gougeon and Bill Bertleson from WEST System epoxies and got an education that
will serve both me and the class well in the future.  I also met with three
DN ice sailors (two of whom bought plans and paid license fees).  These are
truly great guys (adrenaline junkies) who have made it clear to me that the
crossover to the Swift Solo (and the other way) is a natural.  We have much in
common.

In closing, let me repeat.  You will have no trouble with your boat (hull and
deck) measuring if you follow the manual and do not alter the templates.  If,
on the other hand, builders begin altering the hull and deck design to gain
an advantage--it is my intent (and I hope the other class members) to make
their attempt fail.  Running rigging, centerboards, and to some degree sails
and
spars are generally less restrictive and the place where we expect great
innovation.

I hope this clears this matter up.