Re: Cedar Strips

To: Michael.Pollard@xxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cedar Strips
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:15:59 EDT
Michael,

In the Seattle area you can buy enough clear cedar 1x4 14' long corner
boards (smooth on 1 side and 2 edges--used primarily on houses) to build a
Swift
for under $300.  You can buy them at Lowes or any of our local  lumber stores
(you do have to pick through it for flat surface grain so that it  will be
vertical grain when you slice it into 1/4" strips).  Also, you do  have to run
them through a thickness planner to smooth the remaining side.   If I try to
buy
cedar from a marine lumber outlet, the price is $800.   Both 001 and 002 were
built with lumber bought at the local hardware/lumber  outlets (for houses).

Cutting and routing the bead and cove on the strips will take a couple  of
days.  In markets where WR cedar is not readily available you  will likely pay
big premium and purchasing the strips would per the best  route to go.

I hope this helps,