Re: staple removal

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: staple removal
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:01:37 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 9/19/2005 10:15:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, BDally6107
writes:

> In a message dated 9/19/2005 6:24:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> WFS03@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> >> There is a staple gun available that shoots polyester staples which are
>> light brown in color.  You simply sand off the tops and thus the holes are
>> already filled.  The hull or deck is then cut off of the forms from below
>> with
>> a razor blade, once the s-glass has been installed.  This technique was
>> used in building USA020.  For anyone interested, contact me for the
>> distributor's address.
>

> Bill,  I wondered about this method.  Isn't it a pain in the ass to crawl
> around under the station assemble and try to lift the hull away from the
> forms
> far enough to cut the staples without doing damage to the hull?  Were you
> able to avoid using any screws at all during the process?
>
> Bram

Bram,
I used a one of the break-away razor blades that orients the blade to one
side of the handle.  Where the staples were stubborn or hard to cut, I used a
thin Japanese Pull Saw with a very flexible blade.  I did lose some skin on my
knuckles where glue had dripped through, but damage to the cedar was minimal.
Having the staples in the strips while sanding and glassing had the benefit of
holding the deck in place.  I still had to use some screws on the stubborn
bends, to hold the strip until the glue set.  The trade-off for this method is
fewer holes to fill for crawling around under the forms.  Whether I use this
method on USA040 depends on learning more about how to strip the hull and deck
without any staples or screws.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040