Re: Rudder rip-off

To: Robert Harper <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Rudder rip-off
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
Jordan,

In terms of sailing ability your placing in the 505 worlds makes me suspect
that you are a better sailor than me.

I spent years in my youth sailing lasers to a fairly decent level. After a
break of over 20 years I got the 59er which I found initially challenging to
master. After getting my head around some fast boat boat handling fundementals
I got this sorted.

I'm able to say that the Swift generally was considerably easier to handle than
the 59er. I had them out in winds up to 17-18 knots with only one capsize. The
beamier than Bethwaite  hull form forward led to a feeling that it wasn't going
to fall over the moment I stopped sailing it. I was even luffing up close to
stationery on the start line!! - not possible on 9ers. The things that were
really holding me back was my lack of recent trapeze experience (not a factor
for you) and some of the "multitasking" that is required on spinnaker hoists
and douses. By comparison I went out for a spin in a Musto that was there in
about 10 knots and had 3 capsizes in an hour or 2 of sailing.

The large sail area of the Swift makes me suspect that in a real blow of 25
knots that it would be a handful. Time for an Aussie no 2 rig ??!!

I just need to get off my arse to get mine finished well before you so I can
get some practice in to try win the first Aussie championship (my worst placing
will be 2nd)

Steve

Check out my Swift Solo build progress on
www.aussieswift.livesaildie.com