Re: Soldiers, bulkheads and transom...

To: "swiftsolo.catzooks.com" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soldiers, bulkheads and transom...
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:19:24 -0700
FWIW,

I think you want to still use strips with a cove and bead for the transom and bulkheads. You can go with wider strips if you want but I think the cove and bead will give you a stronger joint because of the increased surface area and shape. Butt joints are not very strong. In fact, they are the weakest joints you can make with wood.

I would not try to stray too far from proven methods. Often there are reasons that people go to the extra work for some things. No one wants to do more work than they have to but to take too many shortcuts and have things fail on you is much more wasteful of your time and money.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to solve by using simple butt joints for the transom and bulkheads. If you are trying to save time, I don't think you'll gain much because you'll want to run the strips on a joiner so that the butt joints match up well without voids. I think running the router to put a cove and bead on will be easier and much less expensive than trying to get butt joints to fit properly.

When I built my canoe, I used butt joints to join shorter strips together to get the length I needed. This was very problematic for the stripping process so on the later boats, I've used a 12:1 scarf joint that is very strong and works great. I once tried feather joints but I had problems with those because the bond wasn't much stronger than a butt joint and I'd end up with a similar mess to what I had with butt joints. There was a lot more time involved in doing the scarf joints but it sure made a huge difference in the stripping process and the quality of the finished process. I had much less fairing to do and it looked much better. I hate sanding and scraping so if there is something I can do to reduce that part of the process, I'm all over it.