Re: Soldiers, bulkheads and transom...

To: "swiftsolo.catzooks.com" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soldiers, bulkheads and transom...
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:39:53 -0700
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:17:45 -0700, Tom Stearns <thomasstearns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gentlemen:

Mr. Harper said in his response to the Soldiers, Bulkheads and Transoms
thread that butt joints are the weakest you can make, and that joints with
greater surface area (cove & bead, for example or long scarfs) are
stronger.

This may be true, but have you tested the theory?
No I haven't. Others have so why take the time to recreate the whole process especially when I don't have the proper equipment to do it so that others will accept my results. I can also attest to this from personal experience. I used epoxy to glue my strips on the canoe This did not help the butt joints too much but did increase the weight of the finished boat by quite a bit. On the up side, it is very strong.

Conventional wood glues are weaker than wood hence greater joint area
results in stronger joints. With filled epoxy adhesive, which is stronger
than most woods, a wider joint can be stronger (because more compliant)
and greater surface area doesn't increase the strength. Thus an assembly
with simple rectangular strips with the adhesive forced into the gap after
the strips are positioned is an assembly method which allows maximum time
for adjusting the position and fairness and can result in a structure which
is as strong as the wood everywhere while avoiding the waste of expensive
wood and time spent milling bead-and-cove.
The problem with a butt joint is the contact surface area. Butt joints minimize surface area and that is one of the biggest reasons they are weak. I read in a book on boat building, sorry I don't remember the exact one I've read so many over the years, that some school had run several tests on joints that maximized strength and minimized waste. They found that the 12:1 scarf joint was the strongest. With a cove and bead joint having about 1/3 more surface, it should gain strength both from a mechanical and surface adhesion aspect.

Bead and cove maintains fairness since the strips lock into each other
between formers. However, unless the strips are exactly the same thickness,
and unless the milling cutters reference from the same surface when the
beads and coves are cut, "locking together" can result in unfairness.
Try fitting your strips together first one way around, then the other. Often
you will find that tolerance stackup in the strip thickness and location of
the bead and cove on the edge of the strip results in a fairer surface when
the strips are aligned in one direction than the other.
This is why it is important to do a good job milling your strips. I went one step further than most and ran all my strips through a thickness planer to make them very uniform. Another thing you can do to minimize the angles of the joints is to use thinner strips. This does, however, increase the amount of glue and number of staples. You can also get a much more uniform curve over small radiuses.

Tom Stearns 3 Brander Court Nashua, NH 03063

--
Live large, love lots, and sail fast!
The mark of who you are is determined by what you do when you don't have to do it.