Re: Vang Fabrication

To: jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx, mwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, WFS03@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vang Fabrication
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:05:16 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jordon,

I have one of those in my tool box (different brand).  Actually, that  was
the first system I tried.  The lead angle does not lend itself to being  played
from the trapeze.  It requires fore and aft hand movement and the  further you
are from the cleat, the more cross body hand movement is require to  cleat
and uncleat the thing.  It also has issues in mark roundings, both  bearing off
and heading up at the leeward mark (from the trapeze).

The second reason we use the eccentric cam is that it provides more power  as
it is pulled on further and the load gets higher.  In the last 2 inches  of
travel it likely provides about a 35 to one ratio with very little  friction.