Re: Vang Fabrication

To: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, WFS03@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vang Fabrication
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:16:08 -0600
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
All you have to do to pull the track off is let it sit in the hot sun for a while and the 5200 completely lets go of the track. Then I used a draw knife to shave off the mast followed by a good sanding and cleaning.

As for the varnish on the mast. I thing that is one of the worst ideas I've heard Forte have yet. I did this on some windsurfer masts and I'd never do that again. You'll be sanding and recoating the mast every year. It will be OK if you store the mast in a garage unless you are sailing. If you leave the mast outside or stepped on the boat in the yard, it will go south in a hurry. I'll do the two part thing, most likely the left over epoxy like Bram advises, as soon as I get a good place to work. I just moved and no longer have a shop to work in. The things we do for our wives.