Re: regatta schedule

To: <WFS03@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: regatta schedule
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:06:56 -0400
I just wanted to remind people that Rob DesMarais has been doing a lot of work
behind the scenes to make the Oktober Fest Regatta at Greers Ferry Lake in
Arkansas a sucessful sSwift Solo and single handed skiff regatta. If people are
looking for a great venue and a central location soon this year,  then this is
it. There is still plenty of time.   Check out the attached Photos. I'd
encourage you all to go. There is very enthusiastic support from the locals for
this regatta. There is also a great deal of interest from the "midwest high
performance sailing community" (mostly I14's and vectors) for this regatta as a
recurring event even though this year it follows hard on the heels of the big
I14 event on the west coast.

Roger, good idea, I'm working on a class list for an interactive world google
Map (api) - for our web site in a couple of days (Al's idea).  Bill I think
that is a great suggestion, we already have nice offers for some of those lakes
you mentioned in conjunction with the midwest skiff group. A very enthusiastic
offer for Mendota. We have also been talking about Stockton Lake, in Missouri,
Carlyle Lake/Eldon Hazlet State Park  in Illinois and I think Lake Pepin. All
of these venues have support and most of the characteristics we have been
looking for. Rather than make anyone drive 5 days to get to a regatta these
very large lake venues with well developed infrastructure, where people will
see us sailing, might make more sense.

I think the more people that pitch in and invest in the regatta decision and
organization process the better, so Bill, why dont you and Roger form a
committee, maybe as an email ring, get some volunteer organizers who will come
to the regatta involved, (Rob D and Mark W and Christian would be, right guys?
some of the Canadians on this side maybe, Steve?), to narrow down the times and
especially the appropriate places from the proposals, talk to Musto Ron ,
Marcus Ward and Gerry about their fleets getting together with us, then we can
see how people in our class respond to a couple of worked out proposals you put
on the website.  I could forward you their recent emails - that would be great
progress.  Keep me and Rob Harper informed.

Greg