Re: regatta schedule

To: rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx, WFS03@xxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: regatta schedule
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:35:16 EDT
Just a note that some may find informative.  While they call  Michigan and
Illinois the Midwest, they are anything but in the middle  of the country--let
alone the middle of the west.  It  is precisely like holding the west coast
regatta in Seattle and  the east coast regatta in western Montana.  What's
worse,
the majority of  the boats have been from the Northwest both years.  It is
further from Seattle to Huntington Lake than from NYC to nearly anywhere in
Michigan

After two consecutive years of driving to Florida, it would be a nice
gesture if those of you in the east would join with Christian and support
something
out west occasionally.  I think you'd find Huntington to be quite  nice with
moderate winds (between 8 and 15 knots 80% of the time) and  good family
accommodations in both camp grounds and cabins.  I think that  families and
moderate winds  should remain key considerations.

While joint regattas have some strong benefits, if you've been to one  and in
the starting area with a mixture of large groups of slow  boats and medium to
strong winds, you'll know that it does not work  (the High Sierra Regatta is
a great example).  The danger is simply too  high in spite of the RC's
determined efforts to get these slow boats out of the  starting area until
their
sequence.  The problem comes from  skiffs attempting to find a place to bear
off
during the sequence and having no  rights over the boats to leeward that are
cruising just below the line  15 minutes before their start.  Regattas that
typically see a lot of high  performance skiffs and cats are less of a problem.

Remember, many new Swift sailors with be on the steep part of the  learning
curve and we need to have a clinic again prior to the  regatta.