RE: Rudder rip-off

To: "'Dave Lindsey'" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"'Robert Harper'" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'Swiftsolo'" <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Rudder rip-off
From: "karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:50:19 -0700
Dave
As we talked about earlier, the max loads on the rudder occur during a very
high wind bear away - given the flow pressures around the hull and the CB
the likelihood of hitting the rudder with debris and not the blade
(especially with that force) is very low.

The fact that the pin bent at the top and the top gudgeon pulled out tells
me that there was a loss of connection at the lower gudgeon - if the issue
was stress loading on the pin, it would have failed first at the lower
gudgeon since the loads are higher there.

The lateral force-couple analysis has the rudder actually pivoting on the
upper gudgeon with a lever arm half the length of the whole rudder - I can
attest to this having tried to re-insert more rudders underway than I care
to admit to.  Invariably the trick is to get the lower gudgeon in first if
possible, then the upper one is trivial (or think about which arm carries
the load when steering with an oar or paddle).

Now to the force loads. Our rudders are roughly 1 meter long.  So the
lateral force couple is 0.5 meters.  Absent impact force (which we will
assume is not an issue here) - the amount of shear force you would need to
cause that sort of failure is very high.  High enough that I would have
expected the rudder to fail first.

Why bolts instead of screws?  More because of the fore-aft loading the
rudder is put under as well as the water-creep that you will get into the
joint from the continuous working.

As for why a transom bar?  Let me take a guess at it before Bram actually
answers:

The ideal is a completely open transom so that the water can just drain
straight out of the boat - but this causes two design problems:
 1) you need to deal with the compression force on the hull caused by the
shrouds - so you either make the hull-deck box stiffer and bigger - or you
install a stiffener across the hull - ala the transom bar
  2) you have to mount the upper part of your rudder somewhere.  49ers use
an aluminum gantry that is just as susceptible to being fallen on.  Some
I-14s use a transom bar, others build a box in the middle of the boat just
for the rudder.  The latter is a much bigger pain to build I suspect - and
it looks ugly.

How'd I do bram?