Re: Vang Fabrication

To: <WFS03@xxxxxxx>,<BDally6107@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vang Fabrication
From: "Mark White" <mwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:09:23 -0600
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bill,

The two sides of my vang pivot base were thin and flexible.  I wound up folding
them over a couple of weeks ago trying to pull down the sail beside a pier in a
wind.  I took it home and made a dam covered with packing tape the shape of the
vang lever arm in the max on position and filled the vang pivot with resin and
silica. It doesn't bend any more.

I have been thinking of changing the vang assy.  Keep the vang mounted to the
boom as is, but instead of using the pivot and lever, attach a triple block to
the end of the vang and a triple with a becket to the mast and just use rope.
There may be a little rotational movement in the boom with no vang on (a degree
or so), but I think it would be negledigable.  What does everyone think of this
idea?  I will try it soon.